Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Why Google Analytics Helps our Business

After a major overhaul of our website last winter. One of my jobs as the sales and marketing manager is to make sure our customers are getting the content they need from our website. Without knowing every single one of the thousands of people who visit our site in a months time, its hard to call them and get feedback. I started doing a little research and found that Google Analytics was the right tool for the job.

Not only can I see where traffic is coming from (direct traffic, search engines, referring sites, etc...), I can see what is important to our customers as they make decisions about their equipment rental. I can see what types of content our customers value like pictures or information about our company and I can see how our customers navigate our site to get where they want to go.

Google does not give personal information like addresses or emails, but I can see where people are checking us out from at a city level. This helps me to target certain markets that have shown interest in our company. I can tell google to show me the content that matters most to the people who visit our site from Lexington, KY. I can see if they are interested in tables, chairs, structures or frame tents. I can see how much time visitors stay on each page and at what point in navigation they clicked out of our site (this is called a bounce). Action can be taken on the highest bounce rate locations by modifying the content on those pages to keep prospective customers on the site longer.

There is a ton more that Google Analytics can do for you, but the best part of all of these metrics and the information is that its completely free. If you don't use google analytics to track your webpage content, you're missing a serious opportunity to give your customers what they want.

No comments: